Academic Information


Student Classification

Students at Gavilan College are classified by the following definitions:

  • FULL-TIME- Student enrolled in 12 or more semester units. (4 units for summer session).   
  • PART-TIME - Student enrolled in fewer than 12 semester units.
  • NEW TO COLLEGE: A student who has never enrolled at any college or attended only as a 6th-12th grade student and has now graduated from high school.
  • NEW TRANSFER STUDENT: A student who has attended a college other than Gavilan.
  • CONTINUING STUDENT: A student who was enrolled at Gavilan College the preceding semester/session.
  • RETURNING STUDENT: A student who has attended Gavilan College in the past, but was not enrolled during the previous semester/ session.
  • NONRESIDENT STUDENT: A student who has not met California educational resident requirements and must pay nonresident tuition.
  • INTERNATIONAL STUDENT: A student from another country who has applied to Gavilan College and has been accepted on an F-1 or M-1 (student) visa.
  • CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT STUDENT: A student currently enrolled in grades 6 through 12 in addition to college classes.


Definition of a Semester   

An academic year at Gavilan is comprised of two sixteen-week semesters, fall and spring. Classes are also offered during summer and winter intersessions.


Course Availability

Every course, course section or class, the average daily attendance of which is to be reported for State aid, wherever offered and maintained by the district, shall be fully open to enrollment by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites as may be established pursuant to Chapter II, Division 2, Part VI, Title V of th   e California Administrative Code, unless specifically exempted by statute.

Gavilan College provides special registration assistance to students with disabilities in compliance with Title V of the California Administrative Code, Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Attendance Standards

Students at Gavilan College are expected to attend all classes for which they are enrolled. Students missing one more class hour than the unit value for a particular course without making prior arrangements may, at the instructor’s option, be dropped without possibility of credit. Students who do not attend the first class session may be dropped from class in order to admit other students desiring to enroll.

If it is necessary for a student to miss more than three consecutive class periods, a Leave of Absence Petition Form should be obtained from the Admissions and Records Office. The petition must be approved by all the student’s instructors and returned to the Admissions and Records Office. Ordinarily, a petition for leave of absence will not be granted for more than two weeks. Prolonged absence, even when excused, may result in grade penalties, since the student is still responsible for course requirements.

Continuous attendance is defined as enrollment in at least one credit course per academic year. An academic year begins during the summer term (Summer-Fall-Spring) Attendance at another accredited institution of higher learning is not considered an interruption, providing the absence from Gavilan College does not exceed four (4) years. A student who is absent for at least three (3) consecutive terms, including the summer term, is considered to be a returning student for purposes of "catalog rights" and must follow the graduation requirements in effect at the time he or she returns.

Catalog Rights

Students who maintain continuous attendance status may, for purposes of meeting graduation requirements, elect to meet the requirements in effect at:

  • The time of entrance to Gavilan College, or
  • The most recent catalog

Developing new course curricula is an ongoing process. After the catalog has been printed, new and revised courses and majors may be available. These changes will be available on the web version of the catalog, as it is a “living document.” Consult with a counselor if your area of study has changed.

Course Prerequisite

A prerequisite is a measure of readiness for a course or program that a student is required to meet as a condition of enrolling in a course or program. Successful completion (a grade of “C” or better) of the prerequisite is required.

Course prerequisites are developed by faculty members and accepted by the Gavilan College Curriculum Committee with the intent of promoting student success. Courses are individually reviewed to assure that prerequisites are a valid measure of readiness for student success. Criteria used to establish prerequisites include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Most prerequisites are in degree programs within sequential content areas. A course may be established as a prerequisite for another course provided that skills, concepts and/or information taught in the first course are presupposed in the second course;
  • The course for which the prerequisite is required is one in which the student might endanger his or her own health and safety or the health and safety of others if the prerequisite is not met; or
  • A course may be established as a prerequisite for another course because appropriate faculty and the Curriculum Committee have established it as equivalent to the prerequisite established by at least three campuses of the University of California and/or the California State University.

Other prerequisite criteria may be developed and utilized by Gavilan College. These are available through the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Challenge of Prerequisite

Students who have reason to believe that they have already fulfilled a prerequisite, or that a prerequisite has been improperly established or implemented, may challenge the prerequisite. The student is responsible to provide compelling evidence to substantiate the challenge claim. Challenge forms are available at the Admissions and Records Office and online, and must be completed and returned to the Admissions and Records Office no later than 5 business days prior to the last day to add a class. The college must respond to a completed challenge submitted by a student within a period of five (5) school days or the challenge is valid. Although the student may register in the class for which the prerequisite is being challenged, if the challenge is denied, the student will be dropped from the class. Academic credit will not be awarded for successfully challenged prerequisites. For further information regarding the prerequisite challenge, contact a counselor.

Course Advisory

An advisory is a measure of readiness for a course or program that is recommended a student meet in order to enroll in a course or program. Successful completion with a “C” or better is strongly recommended. Course advisories are developed by faculty members and accepted by the Gavilan College Curriculum Committee. Courses are individually reviewed to assure that the advisories assist a student to efficiently and successfully complete the course. The departments and the Curriculum Committee have concluded, after review of con- tent, that the advisory or its equivalent is strongly recommended.

Course Numbering System

Courses numbered from 1 to 99 are recommended for transfer to all campuses of the California State University and University of California systems. Students transferring to a campus in the University of California system should review the course-by-course articulation agreement available from all counselors.

Courses numbered:

  • 1-99: Baccalaureate level courses which will receive transfer credit at most four-year colleges and universities
  • 100-199: Limited transferability to four-year school in certain areas. Students transferring to a university should research to requirements of the school to which they plan to transfer and consult with a counselor.
  • 200-299: Associate degree applicable, non-transferrable credit courses
  • 300-399: Non-transferrable, not degree applicable courses that apply only to certain certificates
  • 400-499: Developmental courses
  • 500-599: Developmental credit courses for students with disabilities and/or other specific populations, not restricted by standard limits on repeatability
  • 600-699: Noncredit courses, including training and developmental courses for students with disabilities and/or other specific populations
  • 700-799: Noncredit courses for remedial, developmental, occupational, and general education opportunities

Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID)

C-ID is a statewide numbering system independent of the course numbers assigned by Gavilan College. A C-ID number next to a course signals that participating California colleges and universities have determined that a course offered at Gavilan College is comparable in content and scope to a course offered on their own campus, regardless of the unique title or local course number. The C-ID number can be used to identify comparable courses at different colleges. The C-ID system is useful for students attending classes at moe than one community college.

Course Offerings

Some of the courses listed in this catalog may not necessarily be offered during the current academic year. Additional courses may be added to the curriculum and scheduled when appropriate. Gavilan College reserves the right to discontinue, postpone, or reorganize courses when circumstances warrant such changes. Further, it reserves the right to cancel classes which do not meet minimum enrollment.

Course Repetition   BP4225, Title 5, Sections 55040-55045, 58161

Students may repeat courses in which substandard grades (less than “C”) were earned in accordance with Title 5, sections 55040- 55045. The limitations on course repetition and the processes for repeating courses are enumerated in administrative procedures. When course repetition occurs, the permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history. Under certain circumstances, students may repeat courses in which a “C” or better grade was earned. The special circumstances are defined in administrative procedures.

Students may repeat twice any course for which a substandard grade (D, F, NC or NP) has been received with the following limitations:

  • First Repeat: For the first repeat, student may self-select to repeat a course with a substandard grade without counselor approval.
  • Second Repeat Request: Upon the second request to repeat a course, the student must meet with a counselor to review the reasons for the previous failures to complete the course with a satisfactory grade (A, B, C, CR or P). The counselor may require that the student receive special services (such as tutoring or assistance in one of the specialized skill labs) as a requirement of repeating the course again. Alternatively, the counselor may recommend enrollment in an earlier course in the course sequence as a condition of repeating the course again. When appropriate, the counselor may recommend that the student attempt an alternate course to satisfy the same educational objective (such as a different course that will satisfy the same general education requirement). If, in the opinion of the counselor, continued attempts to improve the substandard grade seem warranted, the student will be allowed to repeat the course. The counselor will sign a “Final Attempt - Course Repetition” form. The student must then file the signed form with the Ad- missions and Records Office
  • Third Repeat Request: Students may petition to repeat a course a third time for which a substandard grade (D, F, NC, NP) has been received if extenuating circumstances exist. Extenuating circumstances include verified cases of accidents, illness or other events beyond the student’s control. The decision to grant these exemptions will be made by the college's Appeals Committee.

Upon completion of a repeated course, the most recent grade earned will be computed in the cumulative grade point average and the student’s academic record so annotated. (BP4225) If the student believes that they have extenuating circumstances that were beyond his or her control on the third attempt of the course and wishes to appeal the repeat limit, s/he must submit a Petition to Appeal Repeat Limit with appropriate documentation and return to the Admissions & Records office. Contact the Admissions & Records office for Appeal Committee meeting dates.

Students may repeat courses for which a passing grade (A, B, C, CR or P) has been received under the following special circumstances:

  • Repetition is necessary in order to meet a legally mandated training requirement as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment. The grade and grade points received each time shall be included for purposes of calculating the student’s grade point average.
  • The course is a repeatable course, as described in Administrative Procedure, AP 4227.
  • The previous grade is the result of extenuating circumstances such as verified cases of accidents, illness or other events beyond the control of the
    student. A Request to Repeat a Course Under Special Circumstances, signed by a Gavilan counselor, is required. The grade and grade points received shall be included for purposes of calculating the student’s grade point average.
  • A significant lapse of time has occurred since the course was taken. A Request to Repeat a Course Under Special Circumstances, signed by a Gavilan counselor, is required. Grades and grade points for courses repeated under this provision shall not be counted in calculating a student’s grade point average.
  • The college has established a recency prerequisite. A Request to Repeat a Course Under Special Circumstances, signed by a Gavilan counselor, is required. Grades and grade points for courses repeated under this provision shall not be counted in calculating a student’s grade point average.

When a course has been repeated under any of the above circumstances, the student’s permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history. The specific courses or categories of courses, if any which are exempt from course repetition shall be made available to students upon request.  Students may repeat a course taken at another accredited college or university for which substandard academic performance is recorded. Gavilan will accept for course repetition the passing grade and units of a course subsequently repeated at another accredited college or university. A Petition for Academic Renewal, signed by a Gavilan College counselor, and an official transcript from the other college is required. Nothing can conflict with Education Code Section 76224 pertaining to the finality of grades assigned by instructors, or with Title 5 or district procedures relating to retention and destruction of records.


Withdrawal Policy

Students may withdraw from a course by logging into Self-Service Banner or in person at the Admission & Records Office or the Hollister or Morgan Hill sites. The following grading practices apply when withdrawing from a course:

  • A student who withdraws from a course prior to the end of the seventh day of instruction for a Fall or Spring course, the second day of instruction during a summer course, or the first day of instruction for an intersession or short-term class will receive no grade of record (also known as "No Record Shown" or "NRS").
  • A student who withdraws from a course prior to completion of 75% of the class meetings for the course will receive a grade of "W"; thereafter, the grade will be based upon the entire semester's work.
  • A student may attempt and withdraw from the same course two times and receive a grade of "W." After the second "W" the grade will be based upon the entire semester's work.
  • A withdrawal may be excluded from the two-time maximum limit in the case of extenuating circumstances such as natural disasters or other circumstances beyond the control of the student, including verified cases of accident or illness. The student must file a petition in writing to the office of Admissions & Records when seeking an extenuating circumstances waiver. Decision to approve a waiver will be made by the Academic and Enrollment Appeals Committee.



Definition of a Unit: Units of credit are based upon the Carnegie Unit, which requires a minimum of 3 hours of course-related work per unit of credit each week throughout a 16-week semester.

During a 16-week semester, a typical 3 unit lecture class will meet an average of 3.3 hours per week for classroom instruction and require an additional 6.7 hours per week of outside work (reading, library research, problem-solving, projects, term papers, etc.) for a total of approximately 10 hours of course-related work per week (or 160 total hours for the course). This time requirement increases to 27 hours per week during a 6-week summer session. Units of credit earned in laboratory/activity classes are also based upon the 3 hours per week per unit ratio.

A typical full-time load is approximately 15 units per semester, requiring a minimum of 720 hours of course-related work when class lectures, labs and outside homework are combined. This will vary somewhat, based upon assignments, individual goals and academic ability, but each student is encouraged to budget adequate time for required study.
Degree Versus Non-Degree Units: 
Gavilan College has designated certain courses “non-degree appropriate.” This means that units earned in selected courses will not count toward an associate’s degree.

Full-term Semester Unit Loads:

  • 1-5 units Less than half-time student 
  • 6-8 units Half-time student
  • 9-11 units Three-quarter time student
  • 12+ units  Full-time student (12 units is the minimum number of units to be eligible for full veteran’s benefits, Dean’s List and intercollegiate athletic competition)
  • 15 units Full-time student (President’s Honor Roll eligibility)
  • 18 units  Must have minimum GPA of 2.5 and counselor’s approval
  • 19 units  Counselor's approval required. Appeals by students will be directed to the Vice President of Student Services or designee.

Summer and Intersession Unit Loads:

  • 4-5.99 units Full-time student
  • 6 units Must have a 2.5 GPA and counselor's approval more than 6 units
  • Counselor's approval required. Appeals by students will be directed to the Vice President of Student Services or designee.

Semester to Quarter Conversion Formula

Some colleges and universities operate on a “quarter” calendar of three twelve-week terms; fall, winter and spring. To compute total units for graduation requirements, grade points for the required standards of scholarships, non-resident student regulations, and the college calendar, use the following formulas:

Semester credit hours to quarter credit hours: Multiply the number of semester credit hours by one and a half. (Example: 15 Semester credits x 1-1/2 = 22.5 quarter credits.)

Quarter credit hours to semester credit hours: multiply the number of quarter hours by two-thirds.(Example: 22.5 quarter credits x 2/3 = 15 semester credits)

Grading Options

For some courses, students have the option of selecting a final grade of pass/no pass (P/NP) or a traditional letter grade of “A”, “B”, “C”, etc. Review the course description to determine which courses are designated as having this option.

Courses offered under the pass/no pass (P/NP) grade option are determined by the Gavilan College Board of Trustees as cited in this catalog. Students receiving the pass (P) grade must have achieved the course objectives equivalent to at least a “C” grade or master the course objectives where mastery is determined by the department in order to receive the units of credit assigned to the course. The grade point average of a student receiving a pass (P) or no pass (NP) grade will not be influenced. A pass/no pass course is not included in consideration for honors such as Dean’s List or President’s Honor Roll.

Before selecting a grading option, consider the following:

  • Once the option has been selected, the decision is final and irreversible.
  • Students may select the P/NP option in Self-Service Banner. prior to the NRS (No Record Shown) date for the course, as published in the Schedule of Classes for that semester.
  • If the student opts for a P/NP final grade, the units are not included in the semester GPA but are considered for the purposes of probation and dismissal.
  • A P/NP grade is not used in consideration of honors.
  • A total of 20 units of P/NP graded units (not including those courses required by the major which are designated P/NP only) may be applied to an associate’s degree or certificate.
  • Students should carefully consider the transferability of P/NP units to other institutions.  Some universities may not accept any P/NP courses and others limit the amount of P/NP units that will be accepted. Please consult a counselor before selecting the Pass/No Pass option.

Grades - Academic Record

A Excellent - 4 grade points

A- Excellent - 3.7 grade points

B+ Good - 3.3 grade points

B Good - 3 grade points

B- Good - 2.7 grade points

C+ Satisfactory - 2.3 grade points

C Satisfactory - 2 grade points

D Passing, less than satisfactory - 1 grade point

F Failing - 0 grade points

P Pass (at least satisfactory; units awarded not counted in Grade Point Average) - 0 grade points

NP No Pass (less than satisfactory or failing; units not counted in Grade Point Average) - 0 grade points

I Incomplete (incomplete academic work for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons) - 0 grade points
The requirements necessary to complete the course must be fulfilled the next term of attendance (excluding summer) within the next year. If the “I” grade is not removed in this fashion, it will be converted to an “F

IP         In Progress (In Progress shall be used to denote that the class extends beyond the normal end of the academic term)

W         Withdrawal

MW      Military Withdrawal (called to active duty)


Computing Grade Point Average (GPA)

To determine current or cumulative grade point average, divide the total number of grade points earned by the total number of units attempted.

  • Example:  25 points ÷ 7 units attempted  = 3.57 GPA
    Pass/No Pass units are not computed in the grade point average.

Non-Traditional Credit

You may be granted nontraditional academic credit (e.g., military service, credit by examination, USAFI, CLEP, AP, etc.) upon proper application and, with the exception of Advanced Placement, the successful completion of 12 credit units at Gavilan College with a cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.0. University of California does not grant credit for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. CLEP credit WILL NOT be used to certify the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum. Some California State Universities will grant credit for certain areas and some will not grant credit at all. Transfer students are advised to contact the university they will be attending for specific information regarding CLEP credit.

Credit by Examination (i.e., “Test Out”): 
Students who have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in at least 12 units of college work completed at Gavilan College may petition for credit by examination during any term in which they are enrolled. Students who may qualify for credit by examination are:

  • Students who have never taken the class for credit.
  • Students of exceptional ability who have studied on their own.
  • Students with experiential background who can meet the objectives of the course.

Students will pay enrollment fees for the challenged class. An additional fee may be incurred if a specialized location and/or materials are required to conduct the examination. The exact fee will be based upon the actual costs of providing the exam.

Applications for Credit by Examination are available from the Admissions and Records Office and require the signature of the appropriate instructor, department chairperson, and appropriate dean. A copy of the graded challenge examination will be submitted to the appropriate dean’s office. The type of examination is to be determined by the instructor and the department chairperson in concert with the appropriate dean. The final grade will be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office for posting on the student’s transcript. Students desiring to take the Challenge Examination who, due to extenuating circumstances, do not meet the above qualifications may submit a written appeal for waiver to the appropriate dean.

Procedures for Credit by Examination (Nursing Program) - Students will receive the following orientation regarding Credit by Examination:

  • All nursing program students will sign a statement that they have been made aware of the college policies on Credit by Examination.
  • Students challenging a nursing course must be eligible  for the course and must have met all program entry pre- requisites, including admission procedures for the nursing program.
  • The college reserves the right to deny challenge to any specific course.

General Education CLEP list:

International Baccalaureate (IB):

A score of 5, 6, or 7 on Higher Level exams is required to grant credit for IGETC certification. An acceptable IB score for IGETC equates to either 3 semester or 4 quarter units for eligibility for admission. Students who have earned credit from an IB exam should not take a comparable college course because credit will not be granted for both.

Advanced Placement (AP):

Students may earn credit for College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement (AP) Tests with scores of 3, 4, or 5 (Scores of “3” may not be accepted for all courses by some 4 year colleges and universities). AP credit can be used to meet IGETC, CSU GE and A.A. general education (GE) and/or major requirements. Students must have the College Board send AP exam results to the Admissions Office (hand carried copies will not be accepted) for use on the A.A. or GE patterns. Gavilan College grants up to six semester units of transfer credit for each College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement (AP) Test on which a student receives a score of 3 or higher. The AP results must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records with a request for evaluation. Students receiving a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the Math and English AP exams will be exempt from the placement assessment test. AP units will not apply toward financial aid, nor can they be used to satisfy the residency unit requirement.
Advanced Placement credit will be awarded as follows:

  • AA: Students should be aware that AP test credit is evaluated by corresponding it to an equivalent Gavilan College course, e.g. History 1. A student who receives AP credit and then takes the equivalent Gavilan College course will have the unit credit for such duplication deducted prior to being awarded the A.A. degree. Credit by Advanced Placement exam is noted and listed first on a student’s transcript, with units assigned and no grade. Course credit and units granted at Gavilan College may differ from course credit and units granted by a transfer institution.
  • CSU GE: The Advanced Placement examinations may be incorporated into the certification of CSU General Education-Breath requirements by any certifying institution. All CSU campuses will accept the minimum units shown and apply them toward fulfill ment of the designated General Education-Breath area if the examination is included as part of a full or subject-area certification. Please note that individual CSU campuses may choose to grant more units than those specified toward completion of General Education-Breath requirements.
  • IGETC: AP exams must be used in area indicated regardless of where the certifying CCC’s discipline is located.Advanced Placement exams in Biology, Chemistry or Physics B allow California Community College campuses to apply 4 semester or quarter units. For Environmental Science, Physics C: Mechanics and Physics C: Electricity/Magnetism, 3 semester or 4 quarter units are applied for IGETC certification. Therefore, students who complete these exams will be required to complete at least 4 semester or 5 quarter units to satisfy the minimum required units for area 5.

    If content is duplicated with another exam or college course, credit will be awarded once.

Academic Standards

Dean’s List: Special recognition is accorded students who maintain a 3.0 (B) grade point average during any semester in which they accumulate at least 12 graded (A, B, C, D, F) units at Gavilan College. Dean’s List achievement shall be noted on the student’s transcript.
President's Honor Roll: Special recognition is accorded to students who earn a 3.5 or higher grade point average during any semester in which they accumulate at least 15 graded units (A, B, C, D, F) at Gavilan College. President’s Honor Roll achievement shall be noted on the student’s transcript, and additional special recognition shall be given.
Standards for Probation:

  • Academic Probation: A student who has attempted at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on academic probation if the student has earned an ac- cumulated grade point average below 2.0. 
  • Progress Probation: A student who has enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units as shown by the official academic records shall be placed on progress probation when “W,” “I,” “NC” and "NP" recorded entries reach or exceed fifty percent (50%) of all units in which a student has enrolled.
  • Removal from Probation: A student who is on academic probation for a grade point deficiency shall be removed from probation when the student’s accumulated grade point average is 2.0 or higher. A student on progress probation because of an excess of units for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC” and "NP" are recorded shall be removed from probation when the percentage of units in this category drops below fifty percent (50%).
  • A student who has been dismissed may petition for reinstatement with a written petition. The petition will be reviewed by a counselor. A decision can include continued enrollment, continued enrollment with a reduced unit load for a predetermined period or dismissal from the college for a predetermined period of time. Petitions are available from the counselors and the Admissions and Records Office.

Standards for Dismissal:

  • A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal from the college if the student earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 in all units attempted in each of three consecutive  semesters.
  • A student who has been placed on progress probation shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W,” “I,” “NC” and "NP" are recorded in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).
  • A student deficient in grade points who transfers to Gavilan College from another college will be admitted on probationary status and allowed to remain as long as a 2.0 or higher grade point average is maintained.

Academic Renewal

In accordance with state guidelines, academic renewal may be accomplished in one of two ways:

  1. Repeat a course graded “D”, “F”, “NC” or "NP". The grade and units of the first attempt will remain on the student’s permanent record but will be annotated to show that they are no longer computed in the grade point average.
  2. Petition for renewal of a maximum of three terms of substandard course work which is not reflective of the student’s demonstrated ability. To be eligible for renewal, the following criteria must be met:
  • A period of two years has elapsed between the time of the petition and the date of the course work to be renewed.
  • Subsequent to the semester being renewed, the student must complete either:
  • 30 or more units with a grade point average of 2.0 or
  • 24 units with a grade point average of 2.5 or
  • 18 units with a grade point average of 3.0

No grade or course will be removed from the student’s permanent record. However, the record will be annotated to show that the coursework for that term is not computed in the grade point average. Subject completion, but not unit value, will be allowed for any course completed satisfactorily in the term(s) to be renewed for the purpose of satisfying requirements for a certificate or degree. (All work, including the semester(s) for which academic renewal has been granted, will be computed in determining honors (3.50) at graduation.)

Cooperative Work Experience

The Cooperative Work Experience Program provides an opportunity for the application and integration of specific knowledge and skills to current work place practices. Cooperative internships emphasize the development of individualized performance objectives. Insights obtained in an actual occupational internship and the experience obtained from business and industry result in skills that are essential to fast track career futures.

A student may earn from 1 to 16 units which may be accepted in certain vocational programs as electives and as elective transfer credit by four-year colleges and universities. Students should consult with counselors for specific transferability guidelines. Students must have a volunteer or paid job and a "C" grade point average to enroll.

Distance Learning

Distance learning refers to instruction delivered through technology to students at a distance from their instructors. All distance learning courses are academically equivalent to traditional classroom instruction. They are not easier, as some students think. In fact, they may be more difficult, if we consider the amount of technical ability needed, plus the self-discipline needed to keep current.

Methods of instruction include:

  • Online classes, using a computer with an individual email account and access to the internet. Class meetings and the majority of coursework are done primarily online. However, one or more optional on-campus meetings may be held. Online courses require students to have an email account. Please go to for instructions on how to obtain an email account prior to registering for an online course.
  • Hybrid courses are a mix of online meetings plus face-to-face meetings.
  • Supplemental resources and assignments, varies per instructor, not offered in every course. In-person orientations to online learning are held at the beginning of every semester. An online version of the Orientation to online learning is also available as a non-credit course, listed as LIB 732. For general help with online classes, go to For a list of courses currently offered through the Distance Learning Program, visit the website at If you would like more information, contact the Distance Education Coordinator via email at

Study Abroad Programs

Gavilan College offers students the opportunity for world-wide learning experiences through travel and study programs. These programs may be offered during summer sessions or the regular fall or spring semesters. Gavilan has previously offered programs that have included travel and study in Mexico, England, Spain and other countries. For a current list of course opportunities, see the class schedule or the college website at or contact the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs at 408-848-4761.

South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium

As a member of the South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium, Gavilan College offers courses for students who are interested in Correctional Officer, Law Enforcement, Reserve Police Officer, Dispatcher, Fire Technology, Probation Officer, or Juvenile Hall Counselor careers. The Consortium is funded by all colleges regionally to provide vocational specific training which may require special facilities, special training conditions or is presented outside of the regular schedule of college classes. The application and registration process is completed at the South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium Center located in south San Jose. Although open to the public, the majority of these courses are intended to serve those who are already employed.

If you have questions about these courses, or if you would like information about a career in any of these programs, please call 408-270-6458 or visit the webpage at