Enrollment Services



Eligibility  Education Code Section 48800, 76000; 76001, 76004 and 76002, and 76038, and 7660 BP 5010, AP 5010, BP 5011 and AP 5011


Any high school graduate or individual with a GED or high school proficiency certificate may be admitted to the Gavilan College District. A person 18 years of age or older who has not received a high school diploma may be admitted to the college to take courses for the purpose of general education or to enroll in specialized vocational programs. You may prepare for transfer to a four-year institution without the high school diploma. All non- high school graduates should request special counseling from the Counseling Department.

Admission Requirements

Students shall complete the following requirements prior to registration:

  1. File an Application for Admission (online at www.gavilan.edu)
  2. Submit official transcripts of all previous high school and college work.  The transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions and Records Office by the school issuing them.  It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for official transcripts to be sent to the college.
  3. Complete Math and English placement.  This can be done at the time of application submission on CCCApply, or via the Placement tools on the Placement webpage at http://www.gavilan.edu/admit/assessment/index.php
  4. Complete the online Orientation available on the MyGav Student portal - a Gav ID/PIN and placement information is required.
  5. Register for classes or meet with a counselor to discuss placement, course selections or educational goals.

All students who are younger than 18 years old and have not graduated from high school must submit appropriate contracts prior to or at the time of registration.


Enrollment fees are subject to change each year. Consult the Semester Guide for current information. Payment of all fees is required by the next "Payment Due Date" following registration for classes. Failure to pay by the due date may result in being dropped from all classes.

Questions about resident status or non-resident tuition fees should be directed to the Admissions and Records Office. Call 408-848-4736.

Exemptions for the Health Fee: Pursuant to Education Code Section 76355 (c) the following categories of students are exempted from the health fee required pursuant to subdivision (a):

  • Students who depend exclusively upon prayer for healing in accordance with the teachings of a bona fide religious sect, denomination, or organization.
  • Students who are attending a community college under an approved apprenticeship training program.


Student Representation Fee - Effective January 1, 2020, all students in all California Community Colleges will be assessed a $2 student representation fee per term as stated in AB 1504 (updated January 10, 2020).


High School Students' Concurrent Enrollment Opportunities Program   Education Code Sections 48800; 76000, 76001, 76004, and 7660 and 76002, and 76038 and 76602, BP 5010, AP 5010 and AP 5011.

Gavilan College may admit as a special part-time student any  high school student who can benefit from advanced scholastic or vocational work. Authorization for such attendance is dependent upon recommendation of the student’s high school principal and a written permit to attend.

Admitted high school students must maintain their full-time high school status when concurrently enrolled at Gavilan. The college course load shall be determined on an individual basis by the students and their high school counselor in accordance with college policy.

Students will be expected to provide their own texts, instructional supplies, and if required, any material fees. All students shall conform to the college's academic rules, regulations and codes of conduct.

Concurrent enrollment is intended to offer enhanced college-level learning, not to replace learning in the K-12 setting. The process for high school students to enroll at Gavilan has numerous steps and may take a week or more to complete. Plan ahead. You will need to apply, submit your permission forms, and and complete the math and/or English placement process if applicable, prior to registering.  Any students whose age or class level  is equal to completed 8th grade may enroll in up to 11 units (5 for summer) provided they possess a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00. Students may not take ESL courses; only vocational, enrichment, or courses unavailable at your high school are allowed. The District sponsors two unique programs for high school aged students, the High Step Program and the Dr. TJ Owens Early College Academy.


Out-of-State Students   Education Code Sections 68050, 68051, 68130, 68130.5, 76001 ,76140,76114.1,and 78032 (d); Title 5 Section 54045.5; BP 5020 and AP 5020.

Out-of-state applicants may be admitted to the college on the same basis as California residents except that they will be required to  pay tuition prescribed by the Governing Board to cover the costs of instruction. After a student has been present in California for one year and one day and has manifested clear intent to become a California resident, she/he may apply for reclassification as a California resident. State law requires consideration of financial in- dependence for students seeking reclassification. See http://www.gavilan.edu/admit/residency.php for more information and residency forms.

International Students

Education Code 76141, and 76142, Title V, Section 54045, Title IIX, U.S.C.Section1101.et seq.; AP 5012
International applicants must submit the following documents to the Admissions and Records Office (by May 15th for the fall semester and by September 15th for the spring) prior to being issued the I-20 to apply for a student visa (F-1):

  1. A completed application form with photograph of applicant.
  2. A $100 nonrefundable, one-time filing fee. Fee will be applied to tuition fees once admitted.
  3. Official transcripts of secondary and post-secondary school work, translated in English and evaluated by an approved agency.
  4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based exam or a computer- based test score of 213 or 79 on the internet-based test.
  5. The financial statement indicating that the student has the means to support his or her costs of attendance either from personal, family or governmental sources, a bank statement or other proof thereof.
  6. A photocopy of the I-20 if issued by another school and F-1 visa.
  7. Health insurance is mandatory and must be purchased from the Student Insurance International Student Plan, available through Gavilan College.

International students cannot be admitted to the certificate or degree programs in Registered Nursing or Cosmetology.


Residence Requirements  Education Code Section 68000 68040; et seq.; 68130.5, 68075.7 and 76140; Title 5, Sections 54000 et seq.;38 U.S. Code Section 3679; BP 5015 and AP 5015.

At the time of registration each student is required to furnish a statement of legal residence. Students are qualified to attend Gavilan College if they are:

  1. Residents of California. 
  2. Out-of-state students who meet admission requirements and pay tuition and fees as set by the Gavilan College Board of Trustees.
  3. International students who meet the special admission procedures and pay tuition and fees as set by the Gavilan College Board of Trustees. NOTE: A student seeking to enroll exclusively in career development and college preparation courses, and other courses for which no credit is given, shall not be subject to this residency classification requirement.

Legal Residence

Students are legal residents of California if one of the following requirements is fulfilled:

  • The students are at least 19 and have been legal residents of California for more than one full year immediately preceding the first day of instruction for the term they propose to attend.
  • Unmarried students between 18 and 19 years of age shall have their residency classification determined by considering:
    a.) The residency status of their parents prior to age 18, and
    b.) Their own residency after they became 18. The total time (a) plus (b) must be more than one year as in number 1 above. Unmarried students who are under 18 years of age must prove they have been entirely self- supporting and present in California for more than two years.
  • Students on active military duty based in California (and  not assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education)  or  are the spouse or a child of a California resident.  Persons under this classification shall be tentatively classified residents for the first year they are stationed in California.  After that time they must have taken steps to become California residents (i.e., have a California driver’s license, have voter registration in California, pay state income tax on earnings). Gavilan College adheres to the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACA Act).  See BP/AP 5015 for more information. 
  • Students who are employed by a community college district in a full-time certificated position are classified tentatively as residents for the first year they reside in California.  After that time they must have taken steps to become California residents.
  • Public California college or university employees, their spouses, or children, are classified tentatively as residents for the first year they  reside in California.  After that time they must have taken steps to become California residents.
  • They are apprentices.
  • They are adult aliens who have had permanent U.S. residence (as determined from the date on alien registration card)  for more than one year and have been a resident of California for more than one year. Adult aliens who are between 18 and 19 years of age shall have the residency classification determined by considering:
  • a) The residence status of their parents while they were under 18, and
  • b) Their own residency after becoming 18. The total time (a) plus (b) must be more than one year.
  • They are minor aliens whose parent(s) have been admitted for permanent residence to the U.S. and the parent(s) have resided in California for more than one year. The parent’s immigrant visa may be required to be seen.
  • They are students who are younger than 19 years old and have been under the direct care and custody of an adult other than their parents for a period of not less than two years, provided the adult is a legal resident of California.
  • They are students or parent(s) who earn their livelihood by performing agricultural labor for hire and have performed such labor for at least two months per year in each of the preceding two years.
  • They are minor students. They may not by their own act, by the appointment of a guardian, or by release of control by the parent, change residency while either parent is living.
  • They are students who are adult aliens. They shall be entitled to resident classification if they are refugees who have been granted parolee status or indefinite voluntary departure status in accordance with all applicable laws of the United States; provided that they have lived in the state one year.  (EC68076)

Non-Resident Classification

For purposes of the non-resident tuition fee, a community college district shall disregard the time during which a student living in the district resided outside the state, if:

  1. The change of residence to a place outside the state was due to a job transfer and was made at the request of the student’s or parent’s employer in the case of a student who resided with, and was dependent on, the student’s parent, and
  2. Such absence from the state was for a period of not more than four years, and 
  3. At the time of application for admission to a college maintained by the district, the student would qualify as a resident if the period of the student’s absence from the state was disregarded. A non-resident tuition fee shall not be charged to a student who
    meets each of the conditions specified in subdivision 1 to 3, inclusive.

All other students shall be classified as non-residents and be required to pay the non-resident tuition at the time of registration. Classifications shall be based on evidence presented in residence questionnaires. Students must further certify these residency statements under oath to an employee of the college who is authorized to receive oaths by the governing Board.

Resident Enrollments Fees for Non-Immigrant Students(AB540) (AB2000) (AB540) (AB2000)  Education Code Section 66205.3; 70902(b)(9), 76001 , 76300 et seq.,78032 (d), Title 5, Sections 51012, 58520, and 58629;BP 5030, AP 5030.

AB540, required by California law, provides an exemption from payment of non-resident tuition for eligible non-immigrant students. To be eligible, a student must:

  1. Be a California high school graduate or the equivalent (ie: California issues GED, CHSPE)
  2. Have attended high school in California for 3 years, OR have both attended at least 3 years combined elementary, secondary adult school, and community college in California, and attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to 3 or more years of full-time high school coursework.

The exemption does not grant residency status and the qualifying student may not be eligible for federal financial aid. Students are eligible for state and local aid including BOG, EOPS, CalGrants, and scholarships. The student must sign an affidavit affirming that he or she has filed or will file an application with INS to legalize his or her immigration status as soon as he or she is eligible to do so. Contact the Admissions and Records Office for more information.






Priority Registration

New students who have completed college orientation, assessment and developed educational plans; continuing students who have not exceeded 100 units (not including basic English, English as a Second Language and Math); student athletes and students  in MESA, PUENTE and TRIO have earlier priority registration dates than students who do not meet these criteria. All students in the groups listed above must be in good academic standing (e.g. NOT on academic or progress dismissal or any probation for 2 consecutive semesters) to qualify for their priority registration timeframe.

Veterans, current and former foster youth, homeless youth, and students in CalWORKS, EOPS and the Accessible Education Center will continue to have the highest priorities for registration if they meet the same criteria listed above. If you have questions, please contact the Admissions & Records Office.    

Priority Registration Appeals Process: Students may petition loss of priority under the following two criteria:

  • Extenuating circumstance: Extenuating circumstance is defined as verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student [58108(k)].
  • Significant Improvement: If loss of priority is due to academic or progress probation/dismissal it may be reinstated through the petition process by demonstrated significant academic improvement for a subsequent term. The minimum standards for significant academic improvement for a subsequent term is defined by 55031, where a student must earn at a minimum a 2.0 grade point average for the term and complete more than 50% of the units attempted for the term.

With two noted exceptions:

  • Foster Youth do not lose registration priority 
  • Students with verified disabilities may petition the AEC coordinator to reinstate their priority, if lost, as a disability accommodation.

For more information, go to the Admissions & Records webpage at http://www.gavilan.edu/admit/. To submit an appeal visit the Admissions & Records office.


Refund Policy and Procedure and Procedure 

Gavilan College shall not issue refunds for courses dropped past the refund deadline . See the schedule of classes and the semester calendar for specific dates. Short-term courses must be dropped before 10% of the course meeting times have passed. For one- or two-day courses, this date will occur before the start of the course. Refunds of less than $10 will remain on the student's account as a credit unless the Student Financial Service Cashier receives a Request for Refund form from the student. Refund checks are mailed.


Refunds for ASGC Cards

Students may select to “opt out” of purchasing an ASGC ID Card when registering for classes in person or online using Self-Service Banner. Anyone requesting an ASGC ID  card fee refund must obtain the written approval of the ASGC advisor within ten days of registering. Please see the Student Life Coordinator in SC 161 if you have any questions.

Self-Service Banner

Students can access class listings and register using the online registration system, Self-Service Banner. Prior to using Banner, students must get a "G" number, the Gavilan College I.D. number issued once the admission application has been processed, and which grants access to the system.

Transfer Credit

Official transcripts from institutions fully accredited by appropriate accrediting associations will be evaluated for transferable lower division coursework. Appropriate units and subject content will be applied to major and general education requirements to meet prerequisites or graduation requirements. Courses taken at other California Community Colleges, California State Universities or any University of California will be transferred to Gavilan with the same general education designation as that of the issuing institution. Students who wish to transfer coursework from foreign institutions must submit official transcripts to a college-approved foreign evaluation service for translation and evaluation. Coursework from a foreign institution cannot be used for certification to a four-year institution. Students should contact the institution to which they wish to transfer to inquire about the acceptance of foreign coursework.